I don’t have an ego, says Lionel Messi
Barcelona: Lionel Messi has defended himself against recent criticism by claiming he is not inherently an egotistical person.
The 25-year-old has drawn criticism from some sections of the media this season following indifferent performances for Barcelona in matches of great significance to the Catalan giants.
In addition to his recent form, it had also been reported the star had fallen out with team-mate David Villa in November last year following a high-profile spat with the Spain international, prompting theories that Messi had acquired a narcissistic streak.
However, speaking to US Magazine Esquire, the Argentine claims to possess an innate sense of humility amid the criticism: "I don`t have an ego. I certainly do not feel like I have one," he said.
Meanwhile, the Ballon d`Or winner also reflected on the birth of his son, Thiago, but says he will not force him into following a similar career-path as he did.
He added: "It makes me happy knowing that he`s at home waiting for me after training and playing. I`m not determined for him to be a footballer. Whatever he does in his life, I`ll support him."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets