I don’t have an ego, says Lionel Messi
Barcelona: Lionel Messi has defended himself against recent criticism by claiming he is not inherently an egotistical person.
The 25-year-old has drawn criticism from some sections of the media this season following indifferent performances for Barcelona in matches of great significance to the Catalan giants.
In addition to his recent form, it had also been reported the star had fallen out with team-mate David Villa in November last year following a high-profile spat with the Spain international, prompting theories that Messi had acquired a narcissistic streak.
However, speaking to US Magazine Esquire, the Argentine claims to possess an innate sense of humility amid the criticism: "I don`t have an ego. I certainly do not feel like I have one," he said.
Meanwhile, the Ballon d`Or winner also reflected on the birth of his son, Thiago, but says he will not force him into following a similar career-path as he did.
He added: "It makes me happy knowing that he`s at home waiting for me after training and playing. I`m not determined for him to be a footballer. Whatever he does in his life, I`ll support him."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town