I feel at home at Paris Saint-Germain: Beckham
Paris: David Beckham was thrilled to have made his full debut for Paris Saint-Germain on Wednesday night, claiming that he feels "at home" with his new squad.
Beckham played 85 minutes of PSG`s 2-0 Coupe de France win over Olympique de Marseille at Parc des Princes, and the former England captain was full of praise for the way his team-mates have helped him settle.
"It`s always good to start a match," he told RMC. "It was a pleasure. I feel at home, I`m playing with super players in a super team. I felt good, but I cannot always play 85 minutes immediately."
Beckham was harshly booked shortly before being substituted after a confrontation with Jordan Ayew, but he insists such incidents are par for the course in big games.
"The coming together with Jordan Ayew? This happens in big matches like this. The tension is high. I`m not complaining," he said.
Sporting director Leonardo added that Beckham`s display was evidence that the former Real Madrid star has not simply been signed for commercial reasons.
"He did not arrive just so we could take pictures, press conferences and sell jerseys. Today was the confirmation of that," he said.
Coach Carlo Ancelotti also praised Beckham`s contribution in his post-match press conference, but revealed his frustration at Uefa`s decision to hit Zlatan Ibrahimovic with a two-game Champions League ban following his red card against Valencia.
"Beckham had a very good game," said Ancelotti. "As usual, he delivered good passes, and played well in the axis with [Blaise] Matuidi. He showed he could play, even though he is 37.
"It was a different game to last Sunday. Marseille used different tactics. They played deeper to prevent us from playing. In fact, it was easier for us to keep the ball.
"Ibrahimovic`s Champions League suspension? I was surprised when he got the red card. To see Uefa impose a two game ban is incredible. I hope they will reconsider their decision."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal