I-League champions Bengaluru end season on a high
Margao: Super sub Beikhokhei Beingaichho scored in stoppage time today to give Bengaluru FC a 2-1 victory over Sporting Clube de Goa and end their dream I-League season where they emerged champions on debut.
After Boima Karpeh (42nd) put Sporting Clube de Goa in the lead, Bengaluru fought back in the second half and equalised through Robin Singh in the 59th minute before substitute Beingaichho scored the winner in stoppage time to take the champions` tally to 47 points from 24 matches. They
earned a cash prize of Rs.70 lakhs besides the winners trophy.
East Bengal who beat United today, finished second in the standings with 43 points and Rs.40 lakhs for their efforts.
Salgaocar, who lost to Churchill Brothers today, finished third with 38 points and Rs.25 lakhs in prize money.
Sporting Clube de Goa, who are satisfied after finishing among the top five, showed promise at the start as they moved the ball among themselves with Kalu Ogba orchestrated the moves from the middle and finally breaking the deadlock in the 42nd minute.
Bengaluru, who clinched the I-League title with a match in hand, lacked the thrust upfront without Sean Rooney. John Menyongar who kept the attack going in the previous match too was not playing and they struggled to dictate terms in the midfield, relying mostly on counter moves. Sporting led 1-0 at half time.
After the change of ends, Sporting tried to retreat into its own half with Bengaluru trying to find the equaliser. They were cheered by their fans who came all the way from Bangalore. The equaliser was found in the 59th minute when John Johnson gave a pass to Robin Singh who sprinted down and after getting past a rival defender, shot home from close.
With both the teams heading for a draw, Beingaichho scored with a low header off a cross from Keegan Pereira to give Bengaluru FC full points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!