I-League champions Bengaluru end season on a high
Margao: Super sub Beikhokhei Beingaichho scored in stoppage time today to give Bengaluru FC a 2-1 victory over Sporting Clube de Goa and end their dream I-League season where they emerged champions on debut.
After Boima Karpeh (42nd) put Sporting Clube de Goa in the lead, Bengaluru fought back in the second half and equalised through Robin Singh in the 59th minute before substitute Beingaichho scored the winner in stoppage time to take the champions` tally to 47 points from 24 matches. They
earned a cash prize of Rs.70 lakhs besides the winners trophy.
East Bengal who beat United today, finished second in the standings with 43 points and Rs.40 lakhs for their efforts.
Salgaocar, who lost to Churchill Brothers today, finished third with 38 points and Rs.25 lakhs in prize money.
Sporting Clube de Goa, who are satisfied after finishing among the top five, showed promise at the start as they moved the ball among themselves with Kalu Ogba orchestrated the moves from the middle and finally breaking the deadlock in the 42nd minute.
Bengaluru, who clinched the I-League title with a match in hand, lacked the thrust upfront without Sean Rooney. John Menyongar who kept the attack going in the previous match too was not playing and they struggled to dictate terms in the midfield, relying mostly on counter moves. Sporting led 1-0 at half time.
After the change of ends, Sporting tried to retreat into its own half with Bengaluru trying to find the equaliser. They were cheered by their fans who came all the way from Bangalore. The equaliser was found in the 59th minute when John Johnson gave a pass to Robin Singh who sprinted down and after getting past a rival defender, shot home from close.
With both the teams heading for a draw, Beingaichho scored with a low header off a cross from Keegan Pereira to give Bengaluru FC full points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why