I-League champions Bengaluru end season on a high
Margao: Super sub Beikhokhei Beingaichho scored in stoppage time today to give Bengaluru FC a 2-1 victory over Sporting Clube de Goa and end their dream I-League season where they emerged champions on debut.
After Boima Karpeh (42nd) put Sporting Clube de Goa in the lead, Bengaluru fought back in the second half and equalised through Robin Singh in the 59th minute before substitute Beingaichho scored the winner in stoppage time to take the champions` tally to 47 points from 24 matches. They
earned a cash prize of Rs.70 lakhs besides the winners trophy.
East Bengal who beat United today, finished second in the standings with 43 points and Rs.40 lakhs for their efforts.
Salgaocar, who lost to Churchill Brothers today, finished third with 38 points and Rs.25 lakhs in prize money.
Sporting Clube de Goa, who are satisfied after finishing among the top five, showed promise at the start as they moved the ball among themselves with Kalu Ogba orchestrated the moves from the middle and finally breaking the deadlock in the 42nd minute.
Bengaluru, who clinched the I-League title with a match in hand, lacked the thrust upfront without Sean Rooney. John Menyongar who kept the attack going in the previous match too was not playing and they struggled to dictate terms in the midfield, relying mostly on counter moves. Sporting led 1-0 at half time.
After the change of ends, Sporting tried to retreat into its own half with Bengaluru trying to find the equaliser. They were cheered by their fans who came all the way from Bangalore. The equaliser was found in the 59th minute when John Johnson gave a pass to Robin Singh who sprinted down and after getting past a rival defender, shot home from close.
With both the teams heading for a draw, Beingaichho scored with a low header off a cross from Keegan Pereira to give Bengaluru FC full points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday