I-League: Key win for Lajong against Salgaocar
Shillong: Missing three key players did not faze Shillong Lajong FC as they were able to fashion a 2-1 victory over former champions Salgaocar in the 13th round match of the Airtel I-League at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium here Friday.
There were jittery moments for the home team in the second half, but they were still able to hold on to a crucial win, only their second at home in nine outings, while Salgaocar lost their third match in a row.
Injuries before the game meant that Lajong were without captain Minchol Son and strikers Uilliams Souza Silva and Cornell Glen, but Seikhohao Tuboi and Subash Singh led the way by scoring for the hosts. Prolific striker Darryl Duffy scored for Salgaocar.
Tuboi’s goal seemed to take everyone by surprise, including the spectators. A lofted kick forward found Tuboi unmarked on the left flank. He had to control the ball quickly and executed his kick perfectly, placing it to the left of the goalkeeper, Karanjit Singh in the 22nd minute.
Lajong delivered another blow to the Goan team in the 38th minute. The lightning quick Subash is always dangerous and Salgaocar were not alive to the possibility of his charge forward. In the centre of the pitch, he was fed a lovely through ball and sprinting past two defenders, he slotted the ball into the net past the onrushing Karanjit.
Salgaocar were not without their chances and Lajong goalie Lalthuammawia Ralte, who was fielded in place of the regular Vinay Singh, had to make a double save in the 41st minute.
The diminutive custodian had to first block a Duffy strike, which rebounded, and then had to collect the ball from a Fulganco Cardozo strike.
Salgaocar pressed forward in repeated attacks but looked slightly frustrated as they were unable to put one into the net. Three minutes of added time did not bring any benefit to the Goans and the half ended 2-0.
Salgaocar pulled a goal back six minutes into the restart with Duffy scoring his eighth goal of the season. With the ball played into the box, Lajong were not alert enough and the Scot leapt up to head the ball in.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic