I-League: Massive win for Mohun Bagan
Kolkata: A brace from debutant Christopher Chizoba inspired Mohun Bagan to a 4-0 thumping win over United SC in the round-13 clash of the Airtel I-League football at the Salt Lake Stadium here Friday evening.
Christopher scored twice in the first half while Ram Malik and Odafa Okolie increased Mohun Bagan’s advantage in the second half with United goalkeeper Ishan Debnath being taken to the hospital after suffering a serious injury towards the end of the game.
The result ends Mohun Bagan’s five-match winless streak and moves them up to seventh in the table while United suffered their third defeat of this campaign.
It was an even contest in the early stages with ball possession similar and hardly any clear cut chances. The first real attempt on goal came from Mohun Bagan’s Manish Bhargav, who cut in from the left flank and rattled the bar with a right-footed effort.
At the other United SC’s Syrian defender Hassan Moustafa failed to hit the target despite getting a free header following an Eric Brown freekick.
Mohun Bagan went in front in the 20th minute when Christopher was given the time and space to shoot from outside the box and the Nigerian’s shot gave Debnath no chance. It was Mohun Bagan’s first goal in four matches and made Christopher an instant hero among the supporters.
United coach Eelco Schattorie made a double change in the first half itself but his side couldn’t come back into the match and found themselves 2-0 down just before the interval.
Odafa held up the ball well before playing Christopher clean through on goal and the debutant rounded Debnath before finding the back of the net.
Mohun Bagan’s new signing from Peerless couldn’t have wished for a better debut and things got better for them at the start of the second period as young Ram Malik netted the third.
Some nice interplay between Odafa and Katsumi Yusa saw the latter set up Malik and the starlet slotted home to virtually seal the points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid