I-League: Salgaocar beat Mohammedan Sporting
Mapusa: Salgaocar FC kept their winning momentum going as they scored a convincing 3-0 win over Mohammedan Sporting to notch up their second win in the Airtel I-League at the Duler Stadium here on Sunday.
Salgaocar, who led 1-0 at half time, scored through Darryl Duffy (43rd), Claude Gnakpa (48th) and Augustin Fernandes (63rd). The win takes Salgaocar`s tally to six points from two matches.
Durand Cup Champions, Mohammedan Sporting, who suffered their second defeat, are yet to open their account.
Salgaocar, who had a dream start beating defending champions Churchill Brothers, looked determined to keep the winning momentum going as they did most of the attacking and even earned seven corners in the first half.
However, they were not successful until the 43rd minute when Francis Fernandes did all the spadework and relayed the ball to Clifton Dias who released the ball to a better-placed Darryl Duffy who slotted the ball home to give Salgaocar a 1-0 lead at half time.
Mohammedan Sporting, who made one change from their last match loss against Pune FC by bringing in Penn Orji, had their share of exchanges in the first half with Josimar and Tolgay Ozbay causing problems to the rival defence, but Chika Wali was alert to ward off the dangers.
Sporting came close to scoring in the 28th minute when Josimar`s release to Israil Gurung on the right saw the latter attempt to find the far post, but Salgoacar keeper Karanjit Singh pulled off fine save and blocked Penn from the rebound as well.
Soon after resumption, Sporting could have equalised when Israil Gurung`s shot at the goal saw keeper Karanjit beaten but an alert Augustin Fernandes cleared the ball to safety in the 48th minute.
After this close shave, Salgaocar celebrated with a goal.
After a counter move on the right, Nicolau Colaco sent a long ball to Gnakpa and with the Mohammedan keeper beaten to the flight of the ball. Gnakpa was left alone and he shot home to give Salgaocar a firm grip over the match.
Defender Augustin Fernandes, who moved up, then completed the tally in the 63rd minute for Salgaocar by heading the ball into the net off a cross from Gilbert Oliveira from the right.
Darryl Duffy of Salgaocar was adjudged as the most valuable player of the match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter