I-League: Salgaocar take on Churchill in 7th round clash
Margao: Despite Salgaocar Sports Club stuttering thus far in the I-League, coach Karim Bencherifa believes that the defending champions can get their campaign on track with a win against Churchill Brothers during their seventh round clash at Fatorda on Thursday.
Salgaocar have collected just seven points after six matches but Bencherifa feels his team is getting into the groove.
"The completion of our win against Churchill Brothers tomorrow would get us back on track. Its important that we secure a win and restore normalcy.”
"I guess it`s normal for teams to lose and stutter a bit but our fans and the team needs to remain calm. Such a situation is normal in football and we must realize that. Manchester United for example lost 1-6 but did not press the panic buttons. Chelsea FC is a very strong side but lost matches at home. Such things happen," said the Moroccan.
The last two matches for Salgaocar, though, have been fruitful and Bencherifa now wants his team to show the same character.
Salgaocar defeated Mumbai FC at home by a solitary goal and then managed a goalless draw against Prayag United away to collect four points from two matches.
"The last two results encourage me. We have managed to keep a clean slate and have been solid with set-pieces which was a problem area earlier. We are definitely improving," said Bencherifa, adding that he would ring in a couple of changes to bring in fresh legs against Churchill.
Churchill Brothers have not been flashy in this year`s I-League but coach Manuel Gomes` boys have been solid.
They have lost just one game against Mohun Bagan and have generally not lost sight of league leaders Dempo Sports Club.
The battle against Salgaocar, though, will not be easy and the Churchill players will have to give a good account of themselves against a team that is determined to make amends. Gomes is expected to field an unchanged side.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read