I`ll play left back for Germany if I have to: Podolski
Berlin: Lukas Podolski has claimed he would be willing to play at left back for Germany after struggling to secure a starting place in Joachim Low`s side in its World Cup qualification campaign.
The Arsenal striker has played just 15 minutes in each of Germany`s last two qualifiers, against Austria and the Faroe Islands, but is in Low`s squad for the forthcoming fixtures against the Republic of Ireland and Sweden.
"Everyone wants to play, but it is important that we reach a common goal," Podolski told Kicker. "It doesn`t matter which position I play. I would play at left back!"
Podolski, who has netted two goals in seven Premier League games for Arsenal this season, suffered an injury during training with Germany, but the national side`s assistant coach Hansi Flick insists the knock is only minor.
"Yesterday [Monday] Lukas and Mario [Gotze] received treatment," Flick told reporters. "Lukas Podolski had some problems with his ankle, Mario with some muscle problems. We decided to spare him towards the end of training today when it became a bit more intensive."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundations stone of AIIMS Gorakhpur, reopens sick fertiliser plant
- Get 75% concession on AC train tickets; know more about such concessions
- The India of our dreams: This poet's take will leave you inspired - Watch
- Six killed in vehicles' collision in Madhya Pradesh
- Bhumi Pednekar feels glad about `plus sized` actors now being given equal love