I`m no Suarez replacement, insists Liverpool new-boy Aspas
London: The Spaniard has been compared to the troubled Uruguayan in terms of his talent and temperament, but insists he will be his own man at Anfield.
Liverpool new-boy Iago Aspas insists he has not been signed to replace Luis Suarez.
The 25-year-old Spaniard`s €8 million move to Anfield was confirmed this week, just as the controversial Uruguayan prepares for the Confederations Cup with his club future under a cloud.
But Aspas, a skilful attacker with a fiery temper - highlighted in the four-match ban he received for headbutting Carlos Marchena last season - has rejected any form of comparison with Suarez.
“Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the world and I am going there to take an important step in my career, not to be a replacement for anyone,” he said.
“I think it is time for me to take the next step in my career and Liverpool can help me do that. I have confidence in my ability to move forward and to grow as a player.
“I described the move as emotional for me because it is such a big club and it means I’ve reached another level. But I am calm because I feel I am ready.
“I want to show that I am capable of playing at the level of this huge club.”
Aspas also revealed he fully expects to be partnering Suarez up front for Liverpool next season, rather than watching him turn out for Real Madrid.
“I am excited to be going to England – I want to play in the Premier League,” he added.
“And I hope I will be helped to settle there by all the Spanish speakers at the club... including Luis Suarez.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in