I regret not signing Lopez earlier, says Mourinho
Madrid: Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho has confessed that he wishes he had signed goalkeeper Diego Lopez earlier during his stay at the Santiago Bernabeu.
The 31-year-old joined Madrid from Sevilla in the January transfer window to replace the injured Iker Casillas and has since made the spot between the sticks his own.
Mourinho has now made it clear that head had already set his sights on Lopez before, but eventually decided not to bring him in, a decision the Portuguese now regrets.
"Would I do anything differently if I had the chance to do the past three years over again? I should have brought in Diego Lopez after my first year. We didn`t do enough to sign him. It`s a real shame," Mourinho said at a press conference.
The Madrid coach then went on to discuss his future at Madrid and insisted that he has not made a final decision yet.
"I can only confirm that I will sit down with the president and Jose Angel Sanchez at the end of the season.
"You look around you and it seems that everybody is moving. There`s Carlo [Ancelotti] at PSG, Bayern are changing coaches, Manchester City, Chelsea, there`s speculation everywhere. Some changes will happen and others are just rumours..."
Mourinho also had his say on Barcelona`s performances in recent years and labelled them the best team of the past 20-30 years.
"It`s an honour to have broken the dominance of Barcelona at national level. On international level, I did it with Inter. They`re still a fantastic team, probably the best of the last 20 - 30 years.
"Now they`ve had a couple of bad, surprising results and have become a bad team in the eyes of many..."
The coach was also questioned about Cristiano Ronaldo`s future at the club and insisted that he hopes his compatriot will stay put for many more years to come.
"I hope that Cristiano and Madrid stay together for a long time. He has to think about himself and the club. He was not happy earlier this season, but he is now. He is 100 per cent focused on Madrid."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi