I want to coach in England: Guardiola
Madrid: Former FC Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has revealed that his ambition is to coach in the English Premier League.
Guardiola is currently enjoying a year`s sabbatical after leaving Barca following four successful years during which he won three Spanish Primera League titles, the Champions League on two occasions, the Copa del Rey twice and two World Club Championships along with Spanish and European Supercups.
His year out of the game has been surrounded with speculation over where he will coach in the future and a week ago Guardiola added fuel to the fire by revealing he wanted to return to work next season, although he added he had not held talks with any clubs.
Bearing in mind Guardiola`s impressive curriculum and the wages he would be able to command, it is clear there is only a select band of clubs able to afford his wages. One of those clubs was thought to be Bayern Munich, but in an interview on the website of the English Football Association, Guardiola stated his preference.
"I`ve always found English football very fascinating, just for the environment, the crowd and the supporters," said Guardiola, who spent all of his playing career with FC Barcelona before moving to Italy where he played for Brescia and Roma, before ending his playing days with Al-Ahli and Mexican side, Dorados.
"As a player, I couldn`t realise my dream to play there (in England) but I hope in the future, I have a challenge to be a coach or a manager there and feel the experience of all the coaches and players that have been there."
"It is unique, to play in that league. I want to feel the supporters, the environment, the media and the style of the players and everything," said Guardiola in an interview to mark the 150th anniversary of the FA.
Guardiola pointed out that age, however, would not be a problem for him.
"I am still young, just 41, so I hope in the future I could be able to train there and enjoy that," he concluded.
The former Barca manager`s words will no doubt kickstart speculation over his possible destination. He has been linked with four clubs in particular: Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai