I wanted Neymar at Real Madrid: Marcelo
Barcelona: Marcelo has expressed his disappointment at Real Madrid`s failure to tempt Neymar to Santiago Bernabeu.
The 21-year-old forward is set to be unveiled at Barcelona on Monday following a €28 million move from Santos, and while he is happy his compatriot has taken the next step in his career, Marcelo admits he would much rather play alongside Neymar than face him in La Liga.
“Playing with Neymar is completely different to playing against him. I wanted him to join Real Madrid but I am happy for him, it’s a big step in his career," the 26-year-old told reporters at a press conference.
The Brazilian insists there will be no rift between the two players on international duty as they prepare to lock horns in Spain next season, and says his Spanish team-mates at Madrid are relishing the prospect of taking on Brazil in the Confederations Cup.
“It’s normal to have the odd conflict out on the pitch but once the final whistle goes, we’ll give each other a hug and forget all about it," Marcelo continued.
“My Spanish team-mates at Madrid would love Spain to meet Brazil. They respect us a lot and the feeling is mutual. It’s difficult to gauge what might happen should we meet as we haven’t played each other for quite a long time but we have to remember that they are the reigning world champions.”
Marcelo and Neymar are both part of the Brazil squad which is preparing to face England in a friendly on Sunday, after a court order suspending the game over safety concerns was overturned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers