I will not extend my contract at Arsenal, says Van Persie
London: Arsenal captain Robin Van Persie has confirmed that he will not be signing a new contract at the Emirates Stadium due to disagreements over the club`s direction.
Van Persie`s future has long been the subject of speculation, with the likes of Manchester City and Juventus rumoured to have made enquiries for the striker who has one year left to run on his current deal at the Emirates Stadium.
The 29-year-old has now informed fans through his official website that he will not be extending his stay in north London, stating that his meeting with manager Arsene Wenger earlier this year had left him questioning how the club was moving forward.
"I personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days," his statement read.
"Out of my huge respect for Mr Wenger, the players and the fans I don`t want to go into any details, but unfortunately in the meeting it has again become clear to me that we, in many aspects, disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward.
"I`ve thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract."
The news will come as a bitter blow to Wenger, who stated on Tuesday that it was imperative to keep the PFA Player of the Year with Arsenal "at all costs".
A string of clubs across Europe are likely to be interested in signing Van Persie, who netted 37 goals in all competitions last season.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Extremists in India, Pakistan think military action is only solution to Indo-Pak conflict: Sudheendra Kulkarni
- 7th Pay Commission: All you should know
- Terrorists barge into BJP leader's residence in J&K's Chadoora, snatch AK-47 rifle from his PSO
- Mysore royal wedding: Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja's wedding attire was designed by Pramoda Devi. Know more facts
- Karnataka Police records statement of nursing student