I will not join Real Madrid, says Heynckes
Jupp Heynckes has announced that he will not take over Real Madrid this summer after helping Bayern Munich to Bundesliga, Champions League and DFB-Pokal glory in 2012-13, though he also refused to commit to retirement.
The 68-year-old had an expiring contract with the Bavarians and it was already announced earlier this season that he would have to make way for Pep Guardiola ahead of the 2013-14 campaign.
A number of recent reports suggested that he was one of the candidates to take Jose Mourinho`s place as Real Madrid coach, but Heynckes has now made it clear that he will take time out instead.
"I told my wife last year that my plan was to fulfil my contract and then quit. I did not have any holiday last year and I`ve noticed in the past few weeks that I was close to my limits," Heynckes said at a press conference.
"Other clubs showed an interest in signing me. There were some rich clubs, where money is not an issue, and there were clubs where you can enjoy yourself. And there was a big team that`s not at Bayern`s level at the moment," hinted the veteran trainer at Madrid interest.
"I am going to enjoy a holiday now, though. I will not be coaching either abroad or in the Bundesliga next season.
"Is this a definite retirement? I don`t like to use the word definitive as you never know what will happen. But there`s a life after your professional life."
Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, meanwhile, hopes that Heynckes will return to the club in another role at some point in the future.
"The door will always be open for Jupp at Bayern. He deserves a break more than anyone else. We accept his decision.
"Once his holiday comes to an end, Uli [Hoeness] and I are keen to have a chat with Jupp to see whether he`d be open to a return in another position.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid