I would have hit Henry for ‘handball goal’: Cantona
London: Football legend Eric Cantona has said that he would have hit striker Thierry Henry if he was one of the Republic of Ireland players cheated of their World Cup spot.
The former France and Manchester United star said: “What shocks me the most quite frankly, is not the hand-ball.
“What shocks me the most is that this player, at the end of the game, in front of the TV cameras, went to sit down next to an Ireland player to comfort him - when he had just screwed him.”
Cantona could not believe Henry chose to sit and chat with Republic of Ireland defender Richard Dunne after his handball set up William Gallas for the goal, which ended Ireland’s World Cup dream in Paris.
Cantona, infamous for his kung-fu kick at a fan, added: “If I had been an Irishman, he wouldn’t have lasted three seconds.”
Henry has finally admitted that the World Cup qualifying play-off should be replayed.
“The fairest solution would be to replay the game but it is not in my control,” The Sun quoted him, as saying.
The incident has destroyed Henry’s reputation as a football ambassador.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP