I would have hit Henry for ‘handball goal’: Cantona
London: Football legend Eric Cantona has said that he would have hit striker Thierry Henry if he was one of the Republic of Ireland players cheated of their World Cup spot.
The former France and Manchester United star said: “What shocks me the most quite frankly, is not the hand-ball.
“What shocks me the most is that this player, at the end of the game, in front of the TV cameras, went to sit down next to an Ireland player to comfort him - when he had just screwed him.”
Cantona could not believe Henry chose to sit and chat with Republic of Ireland defender Richard Dunne after his handball set up William Gallas for the goal, which ended Ireland’s World Cup dream in Paris.
Cantona, infamous for his kung-fu kick at a fan, added: “If I had been an Irishman, he wouldn’t have lasted three seconds.”
Henry has finally admitted that the World Cup qualifying play-off should be replayed.
“The fairest solution would be to replay the game but it is not in my control,” The Sun quoted him, as saying.
The incident has destroyed Henry’s reputation as a football ambassador.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Virender Sehwag fulfills Sakshi Malik's desire to meet him; this tweet tells how GLAD he is
- Asked to remove pugree at US embassy, BJP MP refuses to take visa
- Pink Ball Test: Jury still out on sighting, no reverse swing for pacers or turn for spinners
- RCom-Aircel expected to sign merger deal by Sept 1st week
- Mehbooba flies to Delhi as one more killed in Kashmir violence; toll rises to 70