Ibra loses out against Madrid
Madrid: Carlo Ancelotti’s reunion with Paris Saint-Germain proved to be a successful one as Real Madrid continued their unbeaten start to pre-season with a win over the Ligue 1 champions in Gothenburg.
The Italian coach left the French outfit a matter of weeks ago to take charge at Santiago Bernabeu and saw Karim Benzema strike the opening goal for his side midway through the opening period.
Benzema’s effort was magnificently crafted down the Madrid right. Ozil was the chief architect as he provided the thrust and then the pass that allowed the France international to sweep an accurate shot into the corner of Salvatore Sirigu’s net.
To that point there had been plenty of sparring without any particular quality. Moments earlier, Ezequiel Lavezzi had missed the clearest-cut chance as he planted a close-range shot wide following good work from Maxwell but Cristiano Ronaldo had menaced for Ancelotti’s men.
The game’s opening goal, however, provoked a spell of broken play that favoured Laurent Blanc’s side. Within moments of falling behind Blaise Matuidi had tested Diego Lopez, while home favourite Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who was captain for the night, headed narrowly wide shortly afterwards. This period concluded when Javier Pastore had an effort grasped by Madrid’s goalkeeper.
Edinson Cavani was not yet in the PSG side but had he been on the field he would surely have profited from some lax defending that saw Ibrahimovic nod down for Lavezzi six yards out. The Argentine was again wasteful as he scuffed a glorious chance wide.
Moments later, though, Benzema squandered a similarly good opportunity – Madrid’s first since opening the scoring.
Early in the second period, Madrid showed intentions to be a good deal more aggressive and they were rewarded with chances to extend their lead. Ronaldo’s fierce header was kept out by Sirigu, though, and though the Portuguese could not hook the rebound on target he soon tested the Italian with another couple of clean hits.
Marco Verratti’s appearance from the bench brought some hope to the otherwise imprecise Parisians, with the Italian’s pass setting up Lucas Moura to drive inches wide.
In truth, though, this was a rare threat from the French club and it was Madrid who came closest to the game’s second goal through Ozil and then substitute Kaka. Stoppage time brought one final opportunity, but Sirigu again denied Ronaldo, whose awkward free kick was pushed clear.
Come full-time, Ancelotti’s men were worthy winners yet PSG boss Blanc will feel relatively content with his side before their season begins in earnest next weekend with the Trophee des Champions against Bordeaux.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- DNA: Govt claims no power shortage, but India looms in darkness
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 28, 2015
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Heatwave toll rises to 1,826, over 1,300 dead in Andhra Pradesh
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination