‘If Ronaldo is not happy at Real Madrid, he has to leave’
Madrid: Former Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon believes the club should sell Cristiano Ronaldo if he is unhappy.
The current administration took over from Calderon in 2009 with his successor Florentino Perez bringing in the Portuguese maestro for a world record transfer fee.
Calderon has been critical of the new regime since his departure and when asked about the Ronaldo situation he insisted the right course of action would be to let 27-year-old leave the club.
"If a player is unhappy, they must go," he said in an interview.
"It happened to me with Robinho; it was a dramatic saga, but he was bought for €28 million and sold for €48 million, so it was a good deal."
Calderon also voiced concerns about those closest to the Portuguese star becoming increasingly influential behind the scenes at the Santiago Bernabeu.
"Jorge Mendes [Ronaldo`s agent] is now the club president, without having been elected by the board, they left the club in his and Mourinho`s hands," he sarcastically added.
“He`s made decisions; some players have come because he was their representative, the president knows what he`s done."
Calderon also believes the current saga involving Ronaldo must be put right by Blancos coach Jose Mourinho.
"Mourinho is a great coach and motivator, but sometimes behaves regrettably. It’s an issue that needs to be addressed by the coach himself, but it seems difficult,” he continued.
In another attack on the current Madrid regime he revealed he turned down the chance to sign Kaka whilst in charge of the club.
"We tried to sign him [Kaka] in the first year, but we couldn`t and in the second year we could have, but the scouting reports we unfavourable for various reasons," he said.
"Florentino decided to sign him, and now he has to find a way to solve the problem with the club."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?