IFA Shield: E Bengal beat 10-man United SC, reach semifinals
Kolkata: East Bengal blanked defending champions United SC 2-0 to book a semi-final berth in the 118th IFA Shield here on Tuesday.
United SC were reduced to 10 men just after half time with their star player Ranty Martins being red-carded by the referee.
After a goalless first-half, Lalrindika Ralte put East Bengal ahead in the 49th minute with a long range shot but minutes later all hell broke loose for the United SC as their ace forward Ranty was sent off after elbowing Saumik Dey inside the box during a throw-in.
Down with 10 players, United SC had little chance to bounce back and the red and gold brigade stepped up their gas with James Moga completing the rout in the 69th minute by connecting a Edeh Chidi pass.
East Bengal topped the Group I table with seven points to confirm their last four berth, while United with three points and a group league match against Geylang International FC still in hand will have to wait.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?