IFA Shield: E Bengal beat 10-man United SC, reach semifinals
Kolkata: East Bengal blanked defending champions United SC 2-0 to book a semi-final berth in the 118th IFA Shield here on Tuesday.
United SC were reduced to 10 men just after half time with their star player Ranty Martins being red-carded by the referee.
After a goalless first-half, Lalrindika Ralte put East Bengal ahead in the 49th minute with a long range shot but minutes later all hell broke loose for the United SC as their ace forward Ranty was sent off after elbowing Saumik Dey inside the box during a throw-in.
Down with 10 players, United SC had little chance to bounce back and the red and gold brigade stepped up their gas with James Moga completing the rout in the 69th minute by connecting a Edeh Chidi pass.
East Bengal topped the Group I table with seven points to confirm their last four berth, while United with three points and a group league match against Geylang International FC still in hand will have to wait.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday