‘I’m done with Europe’, says Thierry Henry
London: New York Red Bulls striker Thierry Henry has said that he will never play in Europe again.
The former Arsenal and Barcelona star is in his second season with the New York-based Major League Soccer (MLS) club.
“Since I’ve arrived it has been more than amazing. We played in Seattle with 48,000 people, so people are coming to the games,” a daily quoted Henry, as saying.
“I’m done with Europe. My career is over there. I was fortunate enough to win everything at club and international level. So, I’m happy here, I won’t go back,” he added.
It was at Arsenal that Henry made his name as a world-class footballer.
Despite initially struggling in the Premier League, he emerged as Arsenal’s top goal-scorer for almost every season of his tenure there (1999-2007).
Under long-time mentor and coach Arsene Wenger, Henry became a prolific striker and Arsenal’s all-time leading scorer with 226 goals in all competitions.
The Frenchman won two league titles and three FA Cups with the Gunners; he was nominated for the FIFA World Player of the Year twice, was named the PFA Players’ Player of the Year twice, and the Football Writers’ Association Footballer of the Year three times.
Henry spent his final two seasons with Arsenal as club captain, leading them to the UEFA Champions League final in 2006.
In June 2007, after eight years with Arsenal, he transferred to Barcelona for a fee of 24 million euros.
His first honours with the Catalan club came in 2009 when they won the league, cup and Champions League treble.
He went on to achieve an unprecedented sextuple by also winning the Spanish Supercup, the UEFA Supercup and the Club World Cup.
In total, Henry has been named in the UEFA Team of the Year five times.
He joined the New York Red Bulls in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY