I'm no saviour: Neymar
Rio de Janeiro: Brazilian football sensation Neymar has revealed his unease at being considered a saviour for the national team, and insists he alone will not guarantee Brazil`s success at the 2014 World Cup.
The 20-year-old Santos striker is already considered the face of Brazil`s World Cup campaign. His face appears on magazine covers and TV commercials throughout the country and his every move - from his new haircut to the latest music download on his ipod - is considered newsworthy to Brazil`s media, reports Xinhua.
"I know that people copy my hairstyle, my ways and everything else," Neymar said Wednesday. "But I don` t feel like a pop star. I am happy for the affection people show towards me because I was a fan and still am. I know how it is to have an idol."
With 53 goals from 46 matches for club and country in 2012, Neymar has also been making major headlines for his deeds on the pitch.
But he is adamant that he does not carry Brazil` s hopes of winning the World Cup on home soil in less than two years` time.
"Everybody has their role to play," Neymar said. "If my teammates don` t pass the ball to me or if they don` t make a run, maybe I won` t be able to get the ball and dribble. It` s a team sport.
"The responsibility always has to be shared and everybody is important. One player alone will not achieve anything. I` m going to be one more Brazilian fighting and striving to win the World Cup."
Neymar has reportedly rejected offers from Real Madrid and Chelsea and has denied speculation of a deal to join Barcelona in the next European summer transfer window.
He reiterated his intention to remain at Santos at least until his current contract expires in 2014.
"I` m happy here in Brazil. It` s my dream to play in Europe but now is not the right moment."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’