I'm no saviour: Neymar
Rio de Janeiro: Brazilian football sensation Neymar has revealed his unease at being considered a saviour for the national team, and insists he alone will not guarantee Brazil`s success at the 2014 World Cup.
The 20-year-old Santos striker is already considered the face of Brazil`s World Cup campaign. His face appears on magazine covers and TV commercials throughout the country and his every move - from his new haircut to the latest music download on his ipod - is considered newsworthy to Brazil`s media, reports Xinhua.
"I know that people copy my hairstyle, my ways and everything else," Neymar said Wednesday. "But I don` t feel like a pop star. I am happy for the affection people show towards me because I was a fan and still am. I know how it is to have an idol."
With 53 goals from 46 matches for club and country in 2012, Neymar has also been making major headlines for his deeds on the pitch.
But he is adamant that he does not carry Brazil` s hopes of winning the World Cup on home soil in less than two years` time.
"Everybody has their role to play," Neymar said. "If my teammates don` t pass the ball to me or if they don` t make a run, maybe I won` t be able to get the ball and dribble. It` s a team sport.
"The responsibility always has to be shared and everybody is important. One player alone will not achieve anything. I` m going to be one more Brazilian fighting and striving to win the World Cup."
Neymar has reportedly rejected offers from Real Madrid and Chelsea and has denied speculation of a deal to join Barcelona in the next European summer transfer window.
He reiterated his intention to remain at Santos at least until his current contract expires in 2014.
"I` m happy here in Brazil. It` s my dream to play in Europe but now is not the right moment."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- Vodafone launches unlimited free voice calling offer for prepaid customers