IMG-R to discuss IPL-style league with I-League clubs
New Delhi: In an attempt to break the deadlock on the proposed IPL-style football tournament, AIFF`s marketing and commercial partner IMG-Reliance (IMGR) has called for a meeting with the I-League clubs.
"It will happen in the next few days. IMG wants to discuss it with clubs and that is why they have expressed a willingness to talk to the clubs," a top All India Football Federation official said.
The franchise-based tournament, based on the hugely successful Indian Premier League (IPL), has come in for criticism from I-League clubs.
The tournament is slated to be held from January next year to March.
The clubs have called the league a "monster" saying it will finish the existing clubs and devalue the I-League.
Big names such as Sunil Chhetri and Bhaichung Bhutia have however supported the league saying it was important to "glamorize" the sport but insisted it should not come at the cost of I-League.
It was reported that there was a possibility that the franchise-based tournament, to be jointly organized by the AIFF and IMGR, could see retired stars such as David Beckham and Raul Gonzalez in action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?