IMG-R to discuss IPL-style league with I-League clubs
New Delhi: In an attempt to break the deadlock on the proposed IPL-style football tournament, AIFF`s marketing and commercial partner IMG-Reliance (IMGR) has called for a meeting with the I-League clubs.
"It will happen in the next few days. IMG wants to discuss it with clubs and that is why they have expressed a willingness to talk to the clubs," a top All India Football Federation official said.
The franchise-based tournament, based on the hugely successful Indian Premier League (IPL), has come in for criticism from I-League clubs.
The tournament is slated to be held from January next year to March.
The clubs have called the league a "monster" saying it will finish the existing clubs and devalue the I-League.
Big names such as Sunil Chhetri and Bhaichung Bhutia have however supported the league saying it was important to "glamorize" the sport but insisted it should not come at the cost of I-League.
It was reported that there was a possibility that the franchise-based tournament, to be jointly organized by the AIFF and IMGR, could see retired stars such as David Beckham and Raul Gonzalez in action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video