Independent watchdog slams existing `nepotism culture` in FIFA
Sydney: FIFA has been accused of promoting a culture of nepotism, by an independent body which was set up to fix the mode of operations of the international football governing body.
The commission stated that a lack of transparent structures and a culture of nepotism had affected FIFA`s reputation and has undermined its ability to demonstrate the ethical governance of the sport, News.com.au reports.
Although the commission had approved of the way in which FIFA had implemented initial steps towards the creation of a framework of good governance, including reforming its Ethics Commission, it stated that it is still unconvinced that some key football experts have completely understood the consequences.
The commission had recommended limiting the office terms of the president and members of the FIFA executive committee, along with an integrity check for all the committee members, in a bid to improve transparency.
It had also suggested that two independent FIFA members attend meetings of the executive committee.
The creation of the commission was announced in October 2011 by FIFA president Sepp Blatter, following of a series of damaging corruption allegations which rocked the organisation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'