India aim for win against resurgent Nepal
Siliguri: Having lost to Nepal in the SAFF Championship last month, the Indian football team is set to face a tough task as they lock horns with the Himalayan nation in an international friendly here on Tuesday.
After playing out a 1-1 draw with Philippines on Friday, India are still looking for their first international friendly win this year.
Last time the two teams met, Nepal edged past India 2-1 in Kathmandu.
Expecting a fierce challenge from the neighbours, national coach Wim Koevermans said his boys will go all out for a victory at the Kanchenjunga Stadium.
"It`s not a match of revenge as is being stated. Every team takes the field to win. Sporting culture says that once you lose to a team you stay keen to win it the next time you play. We want to win. But it`s not that easy. We know Nepal are a strong side," Koevermans said.
"In the recent past we have not been able to convert our chances. We got plenty of them for sure. Chances only come when you play well."
"We are playing some good football and hope to carry on the trend," he added.
India skipper Sunil Chhetri feels their loss in the last meeting would have no impact in tomorrow`s match.
"Tomorrow is a new game with both teams starting from the same score. History is there for stats," said Chhetri who is on the cusp of becoming the highest goal-scorer for India.
"To win matches you need to score. It just doesn`t matter as long as we convert our chances. Whether it`s me or anyone in the squad, it`s immaterial as to who scores," Chhetri, who is presently tied with Bhaichung Bhutia on 42 goals, said.
Meanwhile, Koevermans and Chhetri congratulated Subrata Paul for signing a contract with Danish Superliga team FC Vestsjaelland.
"I`m very happy for him. I wish him all the luck," Koevermans stated.
"He is a strong character. It`s such a wonderful news for Indian football," Chhetri said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues