India aim for win against resurgent Nepal
Siliguri: Having lost to Nepal in the SAFF Championship last month, the Indian football team is set to face a tough task as they lock horns with the Himalayan nation in an international friendly here on Tuesday.
After playing out a 1-1 draw with Philippines on Friday, India are still looking for their first international friendly win this year.
Last time the two teams met, Nepal edged past India 2-1 in Kathmandu.
Expecting a fierce challenge from the neighbours, national coach Wim Koevermans said his boys will go all out for a victory at the Kanchenjunga Stadium.
"It`s not a match of revenge as is being stated. Every team takes the field to win. Sporting culture says that once you lose to a team you stay keen to win it the next time you play. We want to win. But it`s not that easy. We know Nepal are a strong side," Koevermans said.
"In the recent past we have not been able to convert our chances. We got plenty of them for sure. Chances only come when you play well."
"We are playing some good football and hope to carry on the trend," he added.
India skipper Sunil Chhetri feels their loss in the last meeting would have no impact in tomorrow`s match.
"Tomorrow is a new game with both teams starting from the same score. History is there for stats," said Chhetri who is on the cusp of becoming the highest goal-scorer for India.
"To win matches you need to score. It just doesn`t matter as long as we convert our chances. Whether it`s me or anyone in the squad, it`s immaterial as to who scores," Chhetri, who is presently tied with Bhaichung Bhutia on 42 goals, said.
Meanwhile, Koevermans and Chhetri congratulated Subrata Paul for signing a contract with Danish Superliga team FC Vestsjaelland.
"I`m very happy for him. I wish him all the luck," Koevermans stated.
"He is a strong character. It`s such a wonderful news for Indian football," Chhetri said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre