India jumps 24 places to be in 143rd in FIFA rankings
New Delhi: Despite its unimpressive performance in the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup Qualifiers earlier this month, the India football team jumped 24 places to occupy 143rd in the FIFA Rankings issued today.
India earned 79 points this month for a total of 177 points and a jump from 167th to 143rd.
Today`s ranking is the best in more than two years, after the 142nd at the end of 2010.
India had beaten Chinese Taipei (2-1) and Guam (4-0) before losing to Myanmar 0-1 in the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup Qualifiers in Yangon earlier this month.
The country is now ranked 22nd among Asian countries and highest-ranked in South Asia. It is ranked higher than the likes of Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Tajikistan, Myanmar, Philippines and Palestine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket