India jumps 24 places to be in 143rd in FIFA rankings
New Delhi: Despite its unimpressive performance in the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup Qualifiers earlier this month, the India football team jumped 24 places to occupy 143rd in the FIFA Rankings issued today.
India earned 79 points this month for a total of 177 points and a jump from 167th to 143rd.
Today`s ranking is the best in more than two years, after the 142nd at the end of 2010.
India had beaten Chinese Taipei (2-1) and Guam (4-0) before losing to Myanmar 0-1 in the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup Qualifiers in Yangon earlier this month.
The country is now ranked 22nd among Asian countries and highest-ranked in South Asia. It is ranked higher than the likes of Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Tajikistan, Myanmar, Philippines and Palestine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug