India jumps 24 places to be in 143rd in FIFA rankings
New Delhi: Despite its unimpressive performance in the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup Qualifiers earlier this month, the India football team jumped 24 places to occupy 143rd in the FIFA Rankings issued today.
India earned 79 points this month for a total of 177 points and a jump from 167th to 143rd.
Today`s ranking is the best in more than two years, after the 142nd at the end of 2010.
India had beaten Chinese Taipei (2-1) and Guam (4-0) before losing to Myanmar 0-1 in the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup Qualifiers in Yangon earlier this month.
The country is now ranked 22nd among Asian countries and highest-ranked in South Asia. It is ranked higher than the likes of Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Tajikistan, Myanmar, Philippines and Palestine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Wimbledon: Serena Williams enters second round ousts Amra Sadikovic
- Malaika Arora maintains silence over Salman's rape metaphor
- `Run machine` Virat Kohli credits physical fitness for consistency in performance
- LeEco sells 61,000 units of Le 2 and Le Max2 for online sales record of Rs 78 cr
- Madhuri Dixit turns singer on reality show