India lose 0-1 to Myanmar, Challenge Cup berth uncertain
Yangon (Myanmar): The Indian football team today suffered a 0-1 defeat at the hands of Myanmar in its last league match of the qualifying event of the AFC Challenge Cup here, which put the country`s chances of advancing to the final round of the tournament in a difficult position.
Home side substitute Soe Min Oo scored the only goal of the match in the 75th minute.
With today`s loss, India ended the tournament on second position with six points from two wins -- against Chinese Taipei (2-1) and Guam (4-0).
Myanmar qualified for the final round of the AFC Challenge Cup, to be held next year in Maldives, after emerging as Group A toppers with seven points from two wins and a draw.
The qualifying round of the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup was divided into five groups to be played in a centralised venue. The five group toppers and two best second-place teams will join hosts Maldives in the final round next year.
Thus, India still have a chance to qualify for the 2014 AFC Challenge Cup final round. They will have to wait till the end of this month, when all the qualifying round group matches are completed.
The Group B and Group E qualifying round matches will be held at Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan and Manila (Philippines) later this month while the Group A, C and D matches were being played simultaneously.
For a side that won the 2008 edition of the AFC Challenge Cup to qualify for the 2011 Asian Cup, the loss against the 164th ranked nation was nothing less than a sort of humiliation for the 167th ranked India.
Wim Koevermans` boys were no doubt the favourites to top the group and they were on course after beating Chinese Taipei and Guam. Myanmar were struggling and they were held to a 1-1 draw by Chinese Taipei, but they played their best match against India when it mattered most, to qualify for the final round.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed