India ranked 168th in the latest FIFA rankings
India have won the Nehru Cup last month but still find themselves behind Maldives (160) and Nepal (165) who also participated in the All India Football Federation’s (AIFF) invitational tournament. Syria too have gone down in the ranking by a spot to be placed at 150.
The matches against Cameroon at the Nehru Cup weren’t considered for the FIFA rankings given that the African nation had sent in a team comprising of players plying their trade in the local league only.
Interestingly Afghanistan, who were the runners-up in the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Championship last December, are ranked above India at the 166th spot.
India’s opponents in the upcoming international friendly on the 16th of this month, Singapore are six places above India at 162.
Japan are the highest Asian ranked nation at 23rd spot followed South Korea at 25 and Australia at 34.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror