India ranked 168th in the latest FIFA rankings
India have won the Nehru Cup last month but still find themselves behind Maldives (160) and Nepal (165) who also participated in the All India Football Federation’s (AIFF) invitational tournament. Syria too have gone down in the ranking by a spot to be placed at 150.
The matches against Cameroon at the Nehru Cup weren’t considered for the FIFA rankings given that the African nation had sent in a team comprising of players plying their trade in the local league only.
Interestingly Afghanistan, who were the runners-up in the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Championship last December, are ranked above India at the 166th spot.
India’s opponents in the upcoming international friendly on the 16th of this month, Singapore are six places above India at 162.
Japan are the highest Asian ranked nation at 23rd spot followed South Korea at 25 and Australia at 34.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- China, Russia bilateral relation has reached unprecedented level: Putin
- Anil Kumble: It's a great honour to be back in Indian dressing room in different role
- India vs Zimbabwe PHOTO: When MS Dhoni shared red-eye selfie on Facebook
- M.M. Khan murder: Manish Sisodia accuses hotelier of working under political patronage
- Experts for central epidemiological database to deal with bio-terrorism