India`s friendlies cancelled due to clash with SAFF Cup dates
New Delhi: Indian football team`s hopes of rising in FIFA rankings have been dashed with cancellation of two international friendlies against Philippines and Malaysia owing to rescheduling of the SAFF Cup.
India were scheduled to play against Philippines on September 6 and Malaysia on September 10, both away matches falling on listed FIFA dates. Wins in those games would have helped the currently 147th-ranked side garner points and improve its ranking.
The All India Football Federation (AIFF) confirmed the development.
The eight-nation SAFF Cup is slated to be held at Kathmandu from September 1 to 11 while the AFC Cup quarterfinals -- which also features East Bengal - are scheduled for September 17 and 24.
"It is unfortunate but then we had no option," AIFF general secretary Kushal Das said.
Due to a cramped Asian calender we couldn`t postpone the SAFF Cup. The option of moving the SAFF Cup was explored but a few teams from other countries are playing in the AFC Cup," he added.
Earlier, in November last year, an international friendly against Yemen was cancelled after the visiting team informed AIFF that they won`t be able to make the trip due to ticketing problems.
It was learnt that the AIFF was now working on the possibility of playing a friendly against Tajikistan on August 14, in preparation for the SAFF Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda