India take on Philippines in football friendly
Siliguri: Searching for its first win in an international friendly this year, the Indian football team takes on Philippines without a quartet of senior players who were left out due to various reasons.
India lost both their international friendlies earlier this year -- against Palestine in February and Tajikistan in August -- and coach Wim Kovermans would be desperately seeking to win on Friday and against Nepal (Nov 19), both matches to be played at Kanchenjunga Stadium here.
The home side would be playing without some of their regular players -- goalkeeper Subarta Paul, defenders Gouramangi Singh and Nirmal Chhetri and midfielder Syed Rahim Nabi.
The Filipinos should start as favourites considering they are ranked 117th in the FIFA charts as against a lowly 154th India, but Koevermans` men would be banking on home advantage.
Both sides have come for tomorrow`s match after facing defeats in their last matches. While India lost 0-2 to Afghanistan in the SAFF Cup in September, Philippines were beaten 4-0 by the UAE in their international friendly.
Koevermans does not consider his team an inexperienced one and said his players were raring to go.
"Look carefully and you will find experience all over. International football is always played at a different tempo. The first practice session at national camp is of much higher intensity that what you normally have in your clubs. The boys have responded well and I look forward to their response in the match," Koevermans said at the pre-match press conference.
"We did not win the SAFF Final, a match which we deserved to win. When I took over as Indian national team coach I had stressed on playing on as many FIFA dates as possible. We could have easily picked up any other weaker opposition but we intend to play against stronger teams," he added.
"We appreciate Philippines coming over to play, especially during difficult times," Koevermans stated.
Welcoming the Philippines contingent, India captain Sunil Chhetri said, "Our heart goes out to all who unfortunately succumbed in Typhoon Haiyan. Our Prayers continue so that everything comes back to normal in your country."
"I`ve had a look at Team India videos and am aware about the progress which Indian Team has made since March 2012 when we last played them. We watched the SAFF Championship Final and know India play a very high intensity. They are an aggressive team," Philippines coach Micheal Hans Weib said.
"It`s difficult to predict the result but we aim to win high," said the German.
A minute`s silence will be observed prior to the kick-off as a mark of respect to those who died because of typhoon Haiyan.
The two sides have faced each other four times so far with India having won twice while Philippines were victorious on one occasion. One match was drawn. The last time the two sides met in the AFC Challenge Cup in Kathmandu in March 2012, Philippines had beaten India 2-0.
Match Starts: 6pm IST
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India