India to go for win against Myanmar: Wim Koevermans
Yangon (Myanmar): A draw against hosts Myanmar would see India top the group and qualify for AFC Challenge Cup 2014 in Maldives but coach Wim Koevermans says his team will only be going for a win when the two sides face off here Wednesday.
For the record, India stay at the top of the Group with six points from two matches while Myanmar, placed second are on four points from two matches.
The top team from the Group qualifies for the AFC Challenge Cup 2014 which is to be held in Maldives.
"At the back of the mind, you may be forced to think about a draw which will see us through. But we won`t play for a draw," said Koevermans.
"In such a match, there`s no place for any errors on the field. We need to keep possession and not give it away easily. In the last two matches, we have been casual at times to gift away the ball to our rivals. Against Myanmar, we can`t do that," said Mehtab Hossain who has been omnipresent on the green in the last two matches.
India`s captain Sunil Chhetri though made aware to his teammates of the large number of home fans who will be there to support their team.
"Let`s not forget they will have support from the stands and from what we saw, it`s a noisy crowd. Teams when backed by passionate fans can be very dangerous. That stays a big challenge for us," Chhetri warned.
India defeated a tricky opponent in the form of Chinese Taipei 2-1 in the opening match of the qualifying tournament and then impressed against Guam beating them 4-0 to go top of the table.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre