India to open SAFF U-16 account against Sri Lanka
New Delhi: The Indian U-16 national football team will face Sri Lanka in their opening match in the second edition of the SAFF U-16 Championships at the Army Ground in Kathmandu Sunday.
Apart from India and Sri Lanka, Bangladesh are the third team in Group B.
At the pre-tournament press conference, India`s head coach Goutam Ghosh said: "The SAFF Championships are a great opportunity for us to study our progress. At this age, more than winning, such exposure is more important. I am glad that the boys have got it and we are raring to go."
"We have been preparing for the tournament since April this year and have played some friendlies too. We want to lap up this opportunity and give the boys a feel of a tournament," he added.
In the other Group, reigning champions Pakistan have been clubbed with hosts Nepal, Bhutan and Afghanistan.
India play their second match against Bangladesh July 25.
The semifinals are slated for July 27-28 while the final is July 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees