India to open SAFF U-16 account against Sri Lanka
New Delhi: The Indian U-16 national football team will face Sri Lanka in their opening match in the second edition of the SAFF U-16 Championships at the Army Ground in Kathmandu Sunday.
Apart from India and Sri Lanka, Bangladesh are the third team in Group B.
At the pre-tournament press conference, India`s head coach Goutam Ghosh said: "The SAFF Championships are a great opportunity for us to study our progress. At this age, more than winning, such exposure is more important. I am glad that the boys have got it and we are raring to go."
"We have been preparing for the tournament since April this year and have played some friendlies too. We want to lap up this opportunity and give the boys a feel of a tournament," he added.
In the other Group, reigning champions Pakistan have been clubbed with hosts Nepal, Bhutan and Afghanistan.
India play their second match against Bangladesh July 25.
The semifinals are slated for July 27-28 while the final is July 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- BSNL waives installation charges on new landline connections
- Xiaomi Mi 5 gets a huge price cut; know the new rate here
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin poses as journalist during Carlos Brathwaite's press conference
- Rio Olympics fallout: Sports Ministry sets up inquiry to probe apathy in OP Jaisha's case
- SHOCKING! 1,012 rapes in UP in last 5 months, says govt