India U-16 football team begins campaign in style
Kathmandu: The Indian U-16 national football team kicked off its campaign in the SAFF U-16 Championship in style drubbing 10-man Sri Lanka 4-1 in its Group B opener at the Army Ground on Sunday.
India is being represented by AIFF Regional Academy`s U-15 boys.
Striker Bedashwor Singh struck twice in each half (23rd, 88th) while Krishna Pandit (21st) and Prosenjit Chakroborty (66th) scored one apiece to seal what was a facile win for the Goutam Ghosh-coached side.
Courtesy the win, India are now on three points from one match.
India led 2-1 at half time.
"Results stay immaterial. We wanted to see whether we were sticking to our philosophy, and I am glad that the boys were able to do that," Ghosh said after the match.
"We had 75 percent of the ball possession. The Lankans were defending with ten men for most part of the match. We need to work on a few areas and for that we will be watching the video footage of the match. Before the match against Bangladesh next Thursday, hopefully we will be able to plug the holes," he added.
India next play Bangladesh on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem