'Indian football can get into top 100 in 18 months`
Singapore: A day prior to the international football friendly between India and Singapore, India`s goalkeeper Subrata Paul said the country can achieve a top 100 ranking within the next 18 months.
India are currently ranked 168 in the FIFA rankings, six places behind Singapore.
"I can tell you we have the potential to be below 100. We need to play on all FIFA dates without failure for the next 18 months. If we play that regularly, I guarantee you, we will surely be below 100 in the FIFA Rankings. We are much better than 168," said the 25-year-old.
Commenting on the clash against Singapore he said: "I don`t have much idea of Singapore except for the video which we were shown in the team meeting. All south east Asian teams are very strong and come hard at you. Singapore will be no different. It will be a competitive match for sure."
Pal also showed confidence in Dutch coach Wim Koevermans.
"It`s not been long that he has taken over the reins. We need to be patient and give him more time to settle down. I wish he stays long in India. The start has been a dream one and the script for the future promises much. But I reiterate we need to be patient," said the Prayag United player in a All India Football Federation statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Perez grabs 3rd spot, gives Force India 4th ever podium finish
- Two dead, including one suspect, in Houston shooting: Police
- Had I stayed with AB de Villiers a little longer, it would have been different: Virat Kohli
- IPL 2016: Individual awards for outstanding players
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner