'Indian football can get into top 100 in 18 months`
Singapore: A day prior to the international football friendly between India and Singapore, India`s goalkeeper Subrata Paul said the country can achieve a top 100 ranking within the next 18 months.
India are currently ranked 168 in the FIFA rankings, six places behind Singapore.
"I can tell you we have the potential to be below 100. We need to play on all FIFA dates without failure for the next 18 months. If we play that regularly, I guarantee you, we will surely be below 100 in the FIFA Rankings. We are much better than 168," said the 25-year-old.
Commenting on the clash against Singapore he said: "I don`t have much idea of Singapore except for the video which we were shown in the team meeting. All south east Asian teams are very strong and come hard at you. Singapore will be no different. It will be a competitive match for sure."
Pal also showed confidence in Dutch coach Wim Koevermans.
"It`s not been long that he has taken over the reins. We need to be patient and give him more time to settle down. I wish he stays long in India. The start has been a dream one and the script for the future promises much. But I reiterate we need to be patient," said the Prayag United player in a All India Football Federation statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back