'Indian football can get into top 100 in 18 months`
Singapore: A day prior to the international football friendly between India and Singapore, India`s goalkeeper Subrata Paul said the country can achieve a top 100 ranking within the next 18 months.
India are currently ranked 168 in the FIFA rankings, six places behind Singapore.
"I can tell you we have the potential to be below 100. We need to play on all FIFA dates without failure for the next 18 months. If we play that regularly, I guarantee you, we will surely be below 100 in the FIFA Rankings. We are much better than 168," said the 25-year-old.
Commenting on the clash against Singapore he said: "I don`t have much idea of Singapore except for the video which we were shown in the team meeting. All south east Asian teams are very strong and come hard at you. Singapore will be no different. It will be a competitive match for sure."
Pal also showed confidence in Dutch coach Wim Koevermans.
"It`s not been long that he has taken over the reins. We need to be patient and give him more time to settle down. I wish he stays long in India. The start has been a dream one and the script for the future promises much. But I reiterate we need to be patient," said the Prayag United player in a All India Football Federation statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured