Indian football team`s England tour cancelled
New Delhi: The Indian football team`s tour of England, where it was scheduled to play three international friendlies against Pakistan and Bangladesh, has been cancelled.
English Premier League club Fulham FC, whose Craven Cottage ground was hired to organise the matches, issued a statement informing about the cancellation.
"The club would like to inform supporters that the international friendly matches scheduled to be played at Craven Cottage in June between India, Pakistan and Bangladesh have been cancelled," the club said in a statement.
"Full refunds for tickets already purchased will be given," it added.
Fulham has a lot of Asian population.
As per the original schedule, India were to play Bangladesh on June 1, followed by a match against Pakistan on June 4. Pakistan was supposed to play Bangladesh on June 8.
However, Kolkata-based Celebrity Management Group (CMG), promoters of the England tour, claimed that the matches have only been postponed due to reasons beyond their control.
"All I can say is that the tour has only been postponed due to reasons beyond our control. I can`t reveal the reasons right now," CMG executive director Bhaswar Goswami told PTI.
Goswami also rubbished reports that the tour was put off due to the chit-fund scam.
"That is completely baseless. Why would we, at this stage, associate with such companies which are involved in the chit-fund scam?" he asked.
"We are discussing with the three teams -- Pakistan, India and Bangladesh, and hopefully, will be able to organise the matches before the EPL starts on August 17," Goswami added.
"I can assure that we will announce the new dates very soon."
It may be recalled that a similar friendly matches in United Kingdom were planned in 2011, but were called off after both India and Pakistan pulled out at the last minute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared