Indian football team`s England tour cancelled
New Delhi: The Indian football team`s tour of England, where it was scheduled to play three international friendlies against Pakistan and Bangladesh, has been cancelled.
English Premier League club Fulham FC, whose Craven Cottage ground was hired to organise the matches, issued a statement informing about the cancellation.
"The club would like to inform supporters that the international friendly matches scheduled to be played at Craven Cottage in June between India, Pakistan and Bangladesh have been cancelled," the club said in a statement.
"Full refunds for tickets already purchased will be given," it added.
Fulham has a lot of Asian population.
As per the original schedule, India were to play Bangladesh on June 1, followed by a match against Pakistan on June 4. Pakistan was supposed to play Bangladesh on June 8.
However, Kolkata-based Celebrity Management Group (CMG), promoters of the England tour, claimed that the matches have only been postponed due to reasons beyond their control.
"All I can say is that the tour has only been postponed due to reasons beyond our control. I can`t reveal the reasons right now," CMG executive director Bhaswar Goswami told PTI.
Goswami also rubbished reports that the tour was put off due to the chit-fund scam.
"That is completely baseless. Why would we, at this stage, associate with such companies which are involved in the chit-fund scam?" he asked.
"We are discussing with the three teams -- Pakistan, India and Bangladesh, and hopefully, will be able to organise the matches before the EPL starts on August 17," Goswami added.
"I can assure that we will announce the new dates very soon."
It may be recalled that a similar friendly matches in United Kingdom were planned in 2011, but were called off after both India and Pakistan pulled out at the last minute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot