Indian footballers leave for AFC Challenge Cup
New Delhi: A 23-member Indian national football team left here for Kathmandu to participate in the AFC Challenge Cup which starts on March 8.
India have been clubbed with North Korea, Philippines and Tajikistan in Group B, while Group A consists of hosts Nepal, Maldives, Palestine and Turkmenistan.
The winner of the tournament will earn a ticket to play in the 2015 AFC Asian Cup.
India play their first match against Tajikistan on March 9.
Despite being drawn in the `Group of Death`, national coach Savio Medeira sounded optimistic.
"We are in a tough group for sure but are confident of defending the title. The team is the right blend of youth and experienced players," he said.
Striker Sunil Chhetri, who had scored a hat-trick against Tajikistan to win the 2008 edition of the tournament, said, "We are a capable side with a lot of potential. We will go all out to attain our goal for our fans."
Goalkeepers: Karanjit Singh, Subhasish Roychowdhury, Arindam Bhattacharya.
Defenders: Nirmal Chhetri, Raju Gaikwad, Sameer Naik, Gouramangi Singh, Anwar Ali, Kinsukh Debnath, Syed Rahim Nabi, Gurjinder Singh.
Midfielders: Adil Khan, Anthony Pereira, Reisangmi Vashum, Rocus Lamare, Francis Fernandes, Jewel Raja, Lenny Rodrigues, Lalrindika Ralte.
Forwards: Sunil Chhetri, Sushil Singh, C S Sabeeth, Joaquim Abranches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'