Indian government clears Under-17 WC bid
New Delhi: In what could only be seen as good news for India, the government has cleared the bid made by the country to hose the Under-17 World Cup in 2017 on Thursday.
Earlier, government on Wednesday also made it certain that they would clear the bid to organise the under-17 world cup.
“The note that was prepared by the sports ministry would once again be taken up for discussion by the cabinet,” the secretary of the sports ministry, PK Deb had said to The Telegraph on Wednesday.
“We are hopeful the bid would receive the government’s nod,” he added.
Once this clearance is obtained, the All India Football Federation (AIFF) can proceed further on other matters regarding the 2017 tournament. The federation’s first bid in January was rejected by the government after they had failed to provide the guarantees demanded by FIFA.
India faced stiff competition from South Africa, Indonesia, Ireland and Uzbekistan to obtain the rights to host the competition.
Another sports ministry official told The Telegraph that despite there being no reason for the government to reject the proposal this time, the fiasco at the 2010 Commonwealth Games could prove to be a speed bump.
“Let us keep our fingers crossed as the government is still very upset over what happened during the Commonwealth Games,” he said.
The bid process has to be now cleared by the government after Fifa asked for written guarantees on tax exemption, foreign exchange inflow and security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- IPL 2016: Individual awards for outstanding players
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner
- MNS to file FIR against AIB comedian Tanmay Bhat’s video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar today
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt