Indian government clears Under-17 WC bid
New Delhi: In what could only be seen as good news for India, the government has cleared the bid made by the country to hose the Under-17 World Cup in 2017 on Thursday.
Earlier, government on Wednesday also made it certain that they would clear the bid to organise the under-17 world cup.
“The note that was prepared by the sports ministry would once again be taken up for discussion by the cabinet,” the secretary of the sports ministry, PK Deb had said to The Telegraph on Wednesday.
“We are hopeful the bid would receive the government’s nod,” he added.
Once this clearance is obtained, the All India Football Federation (AIFF) can proceed further on other matters regarding the 2017 tournament. The federation’s first bid in January was rejected by the government after they had failed to provide the guarantees demanded by FIFA.
India faced stiff competition from South Africa, Indonesia, Ireland and Uzbekistan to obtain the rights to host the competition.
Another sports ministry official told The Telegraph that despite there being no reason for the government to reject the proposal this time, the fiasco at the 2010 Commonwealth Games could prove to be a speed bump.
“Let us keep our fingers crossed as the government is still very upset over what happened during the Commonwealth Games,” he said.
The bid process has to be now cleared by the government after Fifa asked for written guarantees on tax exemption, foreign exchange inflow and security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui