Indian I-League player Velho dies of cardiac arrest
New Delhi: In a tragic incident, Indian footballer Soccor Velho, all of 29, and who represented Air India in the 2012-13 I-League season, died of cardiac arrest a few hours after having played in a friendly match in Goa.
Velho passed away after complaining of severe chest pain after having played in a friendly game for Margao XI against India U-19 side in Goa yesterday. He breathed his last on the way to hospital.
Velho had been playing for Air India for the past six years.
It was learnt that the player complained of severe chest pain after returning home from the match. Velho`s wife tried to rush him to the hospital but he died on the way.
Velho, who was employed with Air India, was turning out for a team put together by Salgaocar FC youth team coach Joaquim Crasto to play against an India U-19 yesterday evening.
Velho is survived by his wife and a one-year-old daughter.
The player was known to very quick on the right side of the field and had the penchant for opening up space for the strikers.
According to sources, Velho played the game without any problem. "He suffered a heart attack and died on the way to the hospital," a source said.
Velho was born in Goa, where he played for Cabral before joining Golden Gunners of the Mumbai District Football Association`s Elite Division in 2005. He signed on loan for Air India in 2007.
In another incident, former Karnataka footballer H Sampath Kumar passed away on Friday night after suffering a heart attack. He was 47. He is survived by a wife, one son and two daughters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad