Indian juniors off to a winning start in SAARC Tournament
New Delhi: Striker Krishna Pandit found the back of the net twice to help Indian juniors register a 2-1 victory over Afghanistan in their opening encounter of the U-14 SAARC Tournament at the Tokinosumika Sports Centre in Shizuka, Japan.
India opened the scoring immediately after the kick-off, with Krishna chipping a pass from Amey Ranawade over the rival goalkeeper in the 30th second of the match to score the fastest goal of the tournament so far and to give his side an early advantage, a release from the AIFF stated.
India`s joy was doubled a few minutes later when Krishna scored his second goal off the Ranawade`s cross from the right wing.
The goal came in the 5th minute off a set-piece movement with Ranawade making a run on right wing and passing the ball to Krishna who sealed the opportunity with great precision.
With the boys in blue leading 2-0 at the interval, Afghanistan came out all guns blazing in the second half but only to be restricted by an alert Indian defence.
Afghanistan eventually managed to pull one back in the injury time but by then their fate was sealed.
The match was played in two halves, each of 25 minutes duration.
"This is a good exposure for us and overall development stays the priority. We played in a 4-3-3 format and the boys stayed keen in keeping possession all throughout," the head coach of the Indian U-14 side, Sajid Dar, said.
Meanwhile, assistant coach Goutam Ghosh lauded the boys for sticking to the basics and said, "This was the first time the boys played on an artificial turf and they adapted well. They implemented all that has been taught in the training sessions."
Besides India, eight more teams -- Japan Football Association Academy 1, Japan Football association Academy 2, Pakistan, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan and Nepal are participating in the tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof