Indian Super League set to herald new era, 8 teams to be unveiled on Sunday
New Delhi: Seeking to revolutionise football in the country, organisers of the much-anticipated Indian Super League will unveil the eight franchises on Sunday, with cricket legends, Bollywood stars and a host of corporates in the fray to own teams.
Organised by IMG Reliance in association with Star India, the league has the backing of All India Football Federation (AIFF), and is likely to see big names such as ex-Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke, former Argentina forward Hernan Crespo and England`s Michael Owen.
PTI has learnt that bidders include "two Indian cricket legends, five Bollywood celebrities, three I-League clubs and five corporate entities".
"It remains to be seen who would ultimately be awarded the franchises," a source close to the league said.
This is being seen as an unrivalled football championship in the country once called `sleeping giant` by FIFA president Sepp Blatter, and it aims to foster local talent by featuring international stars.
Anticipation around the ISL seemed to have been building with the organisers receiving positive response from more than 30 interested parties to its `Invitation To Bid` tender notice. The bids closed on March 27.
It is learnt that around 18 to 20 bidders have put in their money on ISL either through forming a consortium or individually.
This is for the first time that a franchise property in sports in India has elicit such a response from the business as well as sports and Bollywood community. IPL, in the year 2007, had 11 bids out of which eight won the franchises.
Former India cricket captain Sourav Ganguly, who is reported to have bid with a consortium having Atletico Madrid in it, has already upped the competition among bidders.
"It would come as a no surprise if one hears similar high- profile international clubs coming over to India as technical partners to the rest of franchises. Ranbir Kapoor, Abhishek Bachchan and John Abraham who are reportedly in the fray - are known for their love for the game and their association with certain top international clubs," a source said.
The nine cities in the reckoning are Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Goa, Guwahati, Kochi, Kolkata, Mumbai and Pune, out of which eight will be shortlisted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared