Indian women`s football team gears up for AFC qualifiers
Ramallah: High on confidence after notching up a double-win over Bahrain in two international friendlies in the latter`s own backyard, the Indian women`s football team will look to carrying on the good form for the AFC Asian Cup (Qualifiers) starting here Tuesday.
The 23-member squad and officials reached here Sunday afternoon. A large posse of local journalists and photographers mobbed the team upon their arrival. There was also a decent crowd gathered to watch the arrival of the SAFF Champions.
‘Palestine is a beautiful place and we are overwhelmed by such warm reception. We hope to play good football here and qualify for the finals. We had two decent games in Bahrain and the girls are motivated. It is a tough group, one that can be called the group of death. We have to put our best foot forward. It is serious business from here on,’ said coach Anadi Barua.
‘This is the most important tournament for us. If we play to our potential we can definitely be the team to progress to the next level,’ India captain Tuli Goon opined.
Midfielder Amoolya Kamal added: ‘I feel so proud. We were greeted wonderfully here. Palestine seems a lovely place. At the same time I also feel responsible. The country is pinning their hopes on us. We have to do it for them.’
India open their account against Myanmar Tuesday followed by Chinese Taipei Thursday (May 23) and hosts Palestine Saturday (May 25).
India are in Group D.
Goalkeepers: Okram Roshini Devi, Tikina Samal, Usha Rani Das.
Defenders: Ashem Romi Devi, Loitongbam Ashalata Devi, Suprava Samal, Gurumayum Radharani Devi, Tuli Goon, Lako Phuti Bhutia, Ansha.
Midfielders: Yumnam Kamala Devi, Yumlembam Premi Devi, Supriya Routray, Amoolya Kamal, Dangmei Grace, Oinam Bembem Devi, Sasmita Malik, Paromita.
Forwards: Irom Prameshwori Devi, Salam Rinaroy Devi, Jyoti Ann Burrett, Ngangom Bala Devi, Pinky Bompal Magar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Brave jawans gun down six militants in encounters in Kashmir's Kupwara - Know gunbattle details
- Brexit poll results: Britain, EU relation on knife-edge as historic referendum closes
- One killed in PKK car bomb in Turkey's southeast
- Morocco arrests 10 suspected Islamist militants, including Algerian
- India’s bid for NSG membership blocked as member countries fail to arrive at a consensus