Indian women`s team arrive in Bahrain for friendly matches
Manama: The Indian Women`s Senior National football team arrived here for two friendlies against Bahrain to be played on May 14 and 16, respectively.
The 23-member squad, which reached here late Sunday night, had been preparing for a month at a camp in Pune.
India will play in the AFC Women`s Asian Cup (Qualifiers) in Palestine in a week`s time from May 21.
The SAFF Cup Champions will open their account against Myanmar (May 21) followed by Chinese Taipei (May 23) and Palestine (May 25). They have been drawn in Group D.
"It feels good to be in Bahrain. The two International friendlies will be good preparation for the all-important AFC Cup Qualifiers. The camp in Pune was a fruitful one and we are raring to go," said the national team coach, Anadi Barua.
The goalkeeping coach Chitra Gangadharan also hoped that the team do well in the two friendly matches.
"The last time we came to Bahrain was in 2011. It was a three-match series, which we won 2-1. I really hope the girls do well," Gangadharan said.
Skipper Tuli Goon added: "I can`t wait to take the field. All the while in Pune we have been practising hard for the AFC Qualifiers. The two Friendlies will be of great help as we will be able to asses ourselves before the real battle."
Goalkeepers: Okram Roshini Devi, Tikina Samal, Usha Rani Das.
Defenders: Ashem Romi Devi, Loitongbam Ashalata Devi, Suprava Samal, Gurumayum Radharani Devi, Tuli Goon, Lako Phuti Bhutia, Ansha.
Midfielders: Yumnam Kamala Devi, Yumlembam Premi Devi, Supriya Routray, Amoolya Kamal, Dangmei Grace, Oinam Bembem Devi, Sasmita Malik, Paromita Sit.
Forwards: Irom Prameshwori Devi, Salam Rinaroy Devi, Jyoti Ann Burrett, Ngangom Bala Devi, Pinky Bompal Magar.
Coach: Anadi Barua; Assistant coach: Surmala Chanu,, Goalkeeping Coach: Chitra Gangadharan, Physiotherapist: Dimple Jitesh Maniar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’