Iniesta slams Mourinho over Spain criticism
Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta has hit out at Jose Mourinho following the Real Madrid coach`s criticism of Spain`s playing style at Euro 2012.
The Portuguese coach labelled Vicente del Bosque`s striker-less system "sterile" and stated that it hurt Spain`s potency following La Roja`s 1-1 draw against Italy in their opening match in Poland and Ukraine.
And Iniesta could not resist the urge to take a swipe at Mourinho after Spain won the tournament by playing the majority of the matches with that system - including the final, in which they defeated Italy 4-0.
"Those were opportunistic comments because of the draw against Italy," Iniesta told Barca TV. "Commenting on such remarks is a waste of time.
"We won the tournament with that system and these players, and that is something we should not forget."
The 28-year-old was named the best player of Euro 2012, but when asked about the possibility of winning the Ballon d`Or award, he backed Barca team-mate Lionel Messi to clinch the prestigious accolade.
"I am very happy to be considered the best player of the Euros," Iniesta continued. "It is great because your work on the field is acknowledged.
"This is even better because we were champions. I had very good feelings prior to the tournament, but I never thought about being the best player.
"The Ballon d`Or? This is something that I do not decide. The only thing that I am worried about is to play well and make the fans happy.
"I am not competing against anyone. I would give it to Messi."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok