Injured Deco out of Libertadores quarter-final
Rio de Janeiro: Former Portugal midfielder Deco will miss both legs of Fluminense`s Copa Libertadores quarter-final against Boca Juniors with a thigh injury.
The 34-year-old tore his right quadriceps muscle during Fluminense`s 1-0 victory over Botafogo in the final of the Campeonato Carioca in Rio Sunday.
Fluminense coach Abel Braga confirmed the former Porto, Chelsea and Barcelona star would be unavailable for at least two weeks.
It means he will miss Thursday`s duel against Boca at the Bombonera in Buenos Aires and the return match in Rio May 23.
"If we get through to the semi-finals we will have a week`s rest and perhaps he will be able to rejoin us then," Braga was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
Deco`s injury comes just days after his teammate Fred was also ruled out of Thursday`s match in Argentina with a thigh injury.
"We are sorry not to have them playing because of the quality they bring to the team," Braga said. "But we have confidence in our group and now it gives a chance to other players to show what they are capable of."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH