Injured Deco out of Libertadores quarter-final
Rio de Janeiro: Former Portugal midfielder Deco will miss both legs of Fluminense`s Copa Libertadores quarter-final against Boca Juniors with a thigh injury.
The 34-year-old tore his right quadriceps muscle during Fluminense`s 1-0 victory over Botafogo in the final of the Campeonato Carioca in Rio Sunday.
Fluminense coach Abel Braga confirmed the former Porto, Chelsea and Barcelona star would be unavailable for at least two weeks.
It means he will miss Thursday`s duel against Boca at the Bombonera in Buenos Aires and the return match in Rio May 23.
"If we get through to the semi-finals we will have a week`s rest and perhaps he will be able to rejoin us then," Braga was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
Deco`s injury comes just days after his teammate Fred was also ruled out of Thursday`s match in Argentina with a thigh injury.
"We are sorry not to have them playing because of the quality they bring to the team," Braga said. "But we have confidence in our group and now it gives a chance to other players to show what they are capable of."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?