Injured Diarra doubtful for Liverpool clash
Moscow: Anzhi midfielder Lassana Diarra picked up a knee injury in Saturday`s game against Spartak Moscow and is heading to Paris to undergo MRI scans, a club spokesman said Monday.
Diarra was substituted on 30 minutes by Fyodor Smolov in a game that Guus Hiddink`s side edged 2-1.
Some reports have indicated that Diarra could face up to two months on the sidelines as he suffered a rupture of the lateral collateral ligament of the knee.
But Murad Latipov said Diarra will undergo diagnostic tests in France to assess the extent of the damage first.
"Diarra has gone to Paris with the team doctor, where he will undergo MRI scans on Monday," Latipov said.
Whatever the diagnosis, it appears Diarra will be unavailable for Anzhi`s Europa League match at Liverpool on Thursday.
Anzhi is top of Group A in the Europa League on goal difference from second-placed Udinese. Liveropol are third.
The Dagestan side are also top of the Russian Premier League, two points ahead of second-placed CSKA Moscow, the only team to have beaten Anzhi this season so far.
Diarra has played seven games for Anzhi since joining from Real Madrid last month, playing key roles in six wins and one draw.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Mumbai school refuses admission to boy, judge offers to pay fees
- Jitu Rai pips three-time Olympic champion Jongoh Jin to clinch the silver medal
- Vijayan keeping media away, says Congress
- Incessant rains lash Mumbai; heavy spells predicted in 48 hours
- Over one million sign UK petition for second EU vote