Injured Ghana goal hero faces race against time
Rustenburg: Ghana goal hero Kevin-Prince Boateng faces a week of intensive therapy in a bid to get fit for the World Cup quarter-final after suffering a hamstring injury.
Boateng scored a fifth minute goal on Saturday to set his side on the way to a 2-1 win over the United States in their second round match in Rustenburg but later limped off in the second half.
Coach Milovan Rajevac said the Germany-born midfielder would face intensive treatment in a bid to be ready for the match against Uruguay at Soccer City in Johannesburg on Friday.
Boateng was among several Ghana players limping after the exertions of the extra time triumph over the Americans at the Royal Bafokeng Stadium.
"Boateng was injured against Germany already. It is going to be a huge problem to get him ready for the next game," said Rajevac following the record-equalling performance by Ghana, only the third African country to reach the last eight of the World Cup.
Rajevac said there were also other players with niggling injuries. Dede Ayew will also miss the match through suspension after picking a second caution of the tournament.
"We are going to see how the players react in the next days. For me the priority now will be to try and get them all ready for Friday. There is a lot of work ahead for the medical staff."
The Serbian-born coach praised the efforts of his players who he said had learnt how to compete.
"We played in the African Nations Cup this year without eight important players and managed to reach the final. The team learnt how to compete. The most important thing at this level is to know how to compete," he said.
"Each victory counts and this is very dear. Ghana is now among the best eight teams in the world. This is fantastic," he added, keeping a stoical face at the post-match news conference but then breaking into a broad smile once it was over.
Ghana are the only African side left at the World Cup and for a second successive tournament the only team from the continent to get past the first round.
"I think we can claim to be the best team in Africa now if you consider that, plus the fact we reached the Nations Cup final," added captain John Mensah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly