Injured Puyol pulls out of Spain squad, Monreal called up
Madrid: Spain defender Carles Puyol has pulled out of the squad to play Liechtenstein and Argentina due to a calf injury, the federation said on its website (www.rfef.es) on Tuesday.
The Barcelona defender failed to complete the side`s first training session in Las Rozas near Madrid and tests showed he had damaged a calf muscle.
Osasuna defender Nacho Monreal has been called up as a replacement.
The world champions start the defence of their European title with a Euro 2012 qualifier against Liechtenstein in Vaduz on Friday. They travel to play Argentina in a friendly four days later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian captain to hit double century in away Test
- 2016 Rio Olympics: Russia bids to avoid ban as IOC reports new test failures
- What did she do that people tied her with rope and handed over to police? - Must read
- Assam flood situation grim, close to 3 lakh remain affected
- Sam Allardyce gets England job at second time of asking