Injured Puyol pulls out of Spain squad, Monreal called up
Madrid: Spain defender Carles Puyol has pulled out of the squad to play Liechtenstein and Argentina due to a calf injury, the federation said on its website (www.rfef.es) on Tuesday.
The Barcelona defender failed to complete the side`s first training session in Las Rozas near Madrid and tests showed he had damaged a calf muscle.
Osasuna defender Nacho Monreal has been called up as a replacement.
The world champions start the defence of their European title with a Euro 2012 qualifier against Liechtenstein in Vaduz on Friday. They travel to play Argentina in a friendly four days later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre