Injured Sami Khedira in World Cup fitness battle
Berlin: Germany midfielder Sami Khedira is facing a race against time to recover from injury and enter Germany coach Joachim Loew`s World Cup calculations.
The Real Madrid star`s participation in Brazil was put in jeopardy in mid-November when he suffered a serious knee injury in Germany`s 1-1 friendly draw with Italy.
Khedira, 26 and a key figure in the German teams that reached the semi-finals in both the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2012, underwent surgery to repair the ruptured anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.
Loew, giving an update on Khedira`s fitness, told German newspaper Bild: "I spoke by phone with Sami three days ago, he`s feeling fine, working a little on the treadmill and isn`t feeling any bad reaction."
The Germany manager added: "There`s no fixed date, but clearly we are going to have to see in April what form the players are in."
He warned that it would be difficult to pick a player "who hasn`t played in a competitive match".
Germany are in Group G at the World Cup against Portugal, Ghana and the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read