Injured Sami Khedira in World Cup fitness battle
Berlin: Germany midfielder Sami Khedira is facing a race against time to recover from injury and enter Germany coach Joachim Loew`s World Cup calculations.
The Real Madrid star`s participation in Brazil was put in jeopardy in mid-November when he suffered a serious knee injury in Germany`s 1-1 friendly draw with Italy.
Khedira, 26 and a key figure in the German teams that reached the semi-finals in both the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2012, underwent surgery to repair the ruptured anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.
Loew, giving an update on Khedira`s fitness, told German newspaper Bild: "I spoke by phone with Sami three days ago, he`s feeling fine, working a little on the treadmill and isn`t feeling any bad reaction."
The Germany manager added: "There`s no fixed date, but clearly we are going to have to see in April what form the players are in."
He warned that it would be difficult to pick a player "who hasn`t played in a competitive match".
Germany are in Group G at the World Cup against Portugal, Ghana and the United States.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM