Injury could rule Germany`s Sami Khedira out of World Cup
Berlin: Germany and Real Madrid midfielder Sami Khedira`s World Cup hopes hang in the balance after he was ruled out for around six months with a torn cruciate ligament suffered in Friday`s 1-1 draw against Italy, team doctors said on Saturday.
Khedira, who also tore another ligament in his right knee during the incident, will undergo surgery.
"He will need to be operated on but we are hopeful he could be fit in time for the World Cup," team doctor Hans-Wilhelm Mueller-Wohlfahrt said.
Germany take on England at Wembley in another friendly international on Tuesday.
"This is a bitter setback for Sami. But he always thinks positively and that is why I am optimistic he will be ready and fit when the World Cup starts," coach Joachim Loew said.
Khedira had formed a superb holding midfield partnership with Bastian Schweinsteiger, who himself underwent surgery this week for a persistent ankle injury. Schweinsteiger is not expected to return before the end of the winter break in January.
Loew said he had decided to travel to London without captain Philipp Lahm, first-choice keeper Manuel Neuer and playmaker Mesut Ozil in order to give other players a chance.
"They are absolutely part of the main structure of this team and what is important for me now is to give other players in these key positions a chance to show what they can do against a big opponent like England," he said.
Central defender Per Mertesacker, however, will return after sitting out the Italy game with flu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what