Injury scare for Huntelaar after clash at Wembley
The Hague: Dutch striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar did not suffer a severe injury, a MRI scan indicated, after clashing heads with England`s Chris Smalling in the Netherlands` 3-2 win in a football match at Wembley.
Huntelaar came on as substitute for Robin van Persie at half-time during the friendly between England and the Netherlands on Wednesday. After having headed in the second Dutch goal in the 58th minute, the two players collided and fell to the ground. Both were taken to hospital.
Schalke 04 striker Huntelaar looked to have suffered a mild concussion, but the MRI on Thursday showed that was not the case. In November he suffered a broken nose after colliding with teammate Joel Matip in Schalke 04`s 0-0 draw with AEK Larnaca in the Europa League.
It is not yet known whether England defender Smalling is capable of playing for Manchester United at Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.
"He has a really bad gash on his head and went to hospital," England caretaker manager Stuart Pearce was quoted as saying by Xinhua. "I spoke with him and he was conscious. Our thoughts are with him and I am hoping he will be fine."
Netherlands beat England 3-2 at Wembley. After Arjen Robben and Huntelaar put the visitors in front, Gary Cahill and Ashley Young seemed to have earned England a draw, but Robben added another goal in the injury time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt