IPL-style football league could see Beckham, Raul in action
New Delhi: There is a possibility that the franchise-based football tournament, to be jointly organised by the AIFF and its commercial partner IMG-Reliance early next year, could see retired stars such as David Beckham and Raul Gonzalez in action.
According to a British website, Sports Management Agency IMG is trying to recruit recently retired stars like Beckham, his former England teammate Michael Owen and former Spain captain Raul Gonzalez to help boost the profile of the venture.
However, no AIFF official was willing to confirm the development when asked about it.
"I have only heard about it, so I cannot confirm you anything as of now," a top All India Football Federation official said.
Having being granted a window from January 15 to March 15 next year, the IPL-style football tournament will feature eight franchises with a squad of 25 players each to play a series of matches.
The franchise-based league will feature many international players, including a few World Cuppers. Some of the country`s top players, including retired stars, are also expected to take part in the tournament.
The details of the league are likely to be finalised by August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!
- Disappointment for Ranbir Kapoor; Sanjay Dutt biopic delayed? Details inside