IPL-style football league could see Beckham, Raul in action
New Delhi: There is a possibility that the franchise-based football tournament, to be jointly organised by the AIFF and its commercial partner IMG-Reliance early next year, could see retired stars such as David Beckham and Raul Gonzalez in action.
According to a British website, Sports Management Agency IMG is trying to recruit recently retired stars like Beckham, his former England teammate Michael Owen and former Spain captain Raul Gonzalez to help boost the profile of the venture.
However, no AIFF official was willing to confirm the development when asked about it.
"I have only heard about it, so I cannot confirm you anything as of now," a top All India Football Federation official said.
Having being granted a window from January 15 to March 15 next year, the IPL-style football tournament will feature eight franchises with a squad of 25 players each to play a series of matches.
The franchise-based league will feature many international players, including a few World Cuppers. Some of the country`s top players, including retired stars, are also expected to take part in the tournament.
The details of the league are likely to be finalised by August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof