Iran eyes qualification for 2014 World Cup: Coach
Tehran: Iran`s football coach Carlos Queiroz has said that the national team`s goal is to qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
"We have an obvious goal which is to qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. We should concentrate on this and not celebrate after a win or get disappointed from a defeat," Queiroz was quoted as saying by Tehran Times.
Iran`s coach referring to Tuesday`s 1-0 victory over South Korea in the qualifying tournament, said that "the atmosphere in the stadium against South Korea was terrific and the fans were right behind us. I had been in a lot of big matches but the game against them was a special day for me."
"The main key to our success in this match was that the players did their job well. They did all of the things that I told them in the dressing room," said Queiroz.
In the meantime, Iran captain Javad Nekounam said that after beating South Korea, the national team has set sights on Uzbekistan for the 2014 World Cup qualifier, reports Xinhua.
"Defeating South Korea really made us happy. Our guys did a great job since we were 10 men from the start of the second half," Nekounam said.
"Iran needed this victory. However, I believe that we have to defeat Uzbekistan as well to pave the way for the World Cup," the 33-year-old said.
"Iran is second behind South Korea with seven points. If we want to book a place in the World Cup we will have to get six points more from our four games," he added.
Iran is scheduled to play Tajikistan in a friendly match in Tehran Nov 6 ahead of the Uzbekistan match in the 2014 World Cup qualifier Nov 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'