Iran eyes qualification for 2014 World Cup: Coach
Tehran: Iran`s football coach Carlos Queiroz has said that the national team`s goal is to qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
"We have an obvious goal which is to qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. We should concentrate on this and not celebrate after a win or get disappointed from a defeat," Queiroz was quoted as saying by Tehran Times.
Iran`s coach referring to Tuesday`s 1-0 victory over South Korea in the qualifying tournament, said that "the atmosphere in the stadium against South Korea was terrific and the fans were right behind us. I had been in a lot of big matches but the game against them was a special day for me."
"The main key to our success in this match was that the players did their job well. They did all of the things that I told them in the dressing room," said Queiroz.
In the meantime, Iran captain Javad Nekounam said that after beating South Korea, the national team has set sights on Uzbekistan for the 2014 World Cup qualifier, reports Xinhua.
"Defeating South Korea really made us happy. Our guys did a great job since we were 10 men from the start of the second half," Nekounam said.
"Iran needed this victory. However, I believe that we have to defeat Uzbekistan as well to pave the way for the World Cup," the 33-year-old said.
"Iran is second behind South Korea with seven points. If we want to book a place in the World Cup we will have to get six points more from our four games," he added.
Iran is scheduled to play Tajikistan in a friendly match in Tehran Nov 6 ahead of the Uzbekistan match in the 2014 World Cup qualifier Nov 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!