Iran eyes qualification for 2014 World Cup: Coach
Tehran: Iran`s football coach Carlos Queiroz has said that the national team`s goal is to qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
"We have an obvious goal which is to qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. We should concentrate on this and not celebrate after a win or get disappointed from a defeat," Queiroz was quoted as saying by Tehran Times.
Iran`s coach referring to Tuesday`s 1-0 victory over South Korea in the qualifying tournament, said that "the atmosphere in the stadium against South Korea was terrific and the fans were right behind us. I had been in a lot of big matches but the game against them was a special day for me."
"The main key to our success in this match was that the players did their job well. They did all of the things that I told them in the dressing room," said Queiroz.
In the meantime, Iran captain Javad Nekounam said that after beating South Korea, the national team has set sights on Uzbekistan for the 2014 World Cup qualifier, reports Xinhua.
"Defeating South Korea really made us happy. Our guys did a great job since we were 10 men from the start of the second half," Nekounam said.
"Iran needed this victory. However, I believe that we have to defeat Uzbekistan as well to pave the way for the World Cup," the 33-year-old said.
"Iran is second behind South Korea with seven points. If we want to book a place in the World Cup we will have to get six points more from our four games," he added.
Iran is scheduled to play Tajikistan in a friendly match in Tehran Nov 6 ahead of the Uzbekistan match in the 2014 World Cup qualifier Nov 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack